So, the majority of the Amiga Scene seem to be using a Compact Flash IDE adapter and a CF card as a good replacement for a regular 2.5″ hard disk which would normally be found in the amiga, which seems like a good idea so I have adopted this. I wanted a solution that was slightly more flexible though, which was the ability to quickly swap out different CF cards with different AmigaOS revisions. The best way to do this was cut a hole in the amiga 1200 case. After scouting around the case for the best location I decided on the upper left side which will also mean using a much shorter ide cable to keep down on case clutter.
I actually did this work with the dremel a couple of weeks ago but only just got around to writing about it. I cut the hole well short of it’s final size in case I made a total hash of it. I used a file to get the hole nice and cleanly to it’s final size, which is just wide enough for a CF card to slot in and deep enough to have 2 CF cards sticking out as I have a second CF adapter on the second ide channel. It’s the first time i’ve really attempted any such crafting like this and I am reasonably pleased with the job. The scuff marks I am not concerned with as the spray job I will give the final revision of the case will cover these.
I have also crafted a few more little things case wise this weekend but will post images of those later when i’ve tidied the pieces up a little.
So, this approach then leads to another requirement which is a custom built mounting block for the 2 CF adapters. I have some ideas for this, one being to build it from packing foam, or these is a more complex option of building it from metal which will require me to do some thinking and practising.
If anyone has any further ideas for how to construct this though I am all ears. I am not rushing through any of this at the minute until I have thought out every angle which, to be honest, is not the way I normally do things.